Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Spiritual Sleep

“But while his men were sleeping, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went away.” Matthew 13:25

A woman asked me how she could keep satan from attacking and discouraging her. I gave her the true, but typical answers: Pray, stay in the Word and keep in contact with other Christians. I could easily give the advice, but I wondered to myself, why I had recently felt “spiritually asleep.” The next morning, as I read Matthew 13:24-30, when Jesus told the parable of the weeds, verse 25 stuck out and spoke clearly to my heart. This verse reminded me that satan could only do what I allow him to - when I am "sleeping", or not paying attention, he can plant weeds in my mind. When I am more focused on myself than God, I am "sleeping" spiritually. It is the best time for satan to attack. We must do all we can to stay awake and attentive, which does include praying, studying the Bible and fellowshipping, but with an open heart and mind to God! Keep your focus on God, and do not give satan the chance to sow weeds in your life.

Dear Lord, help me keep my focus on you because I know that when it turns to me, I am easily distracted by satan. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Application steps: Look back over the times that you have felt “spiritually asleep” or far from God. Decipher what you were and weren’t doing that would be pleasing to God. Work hard at avoiding those things that lull you to “sleep”.

Reflections: I have discovered a few things that personally, tend to put me to “sleep” – focus on myself or things around me, poor diet, lack of exercise and disobedience.

Power Verse: John 14:30-31 “I will not speak much more with you, for the ruler of the world is coming, and he has nothing in Me; but so that the world may know that I love the Father, I do exactly as the Father commanded Me. Get up, let us go from here.”

Have a great day being "awake"!
Christie

No comments: