Friday, June 12, 2009

Whooo Hooo - it's Friday! :)

Have you ever felt like following God was too hard and that there was just too much sacrifice involved? I have felt that way and I have some friends who are currently struggling with giving up something that they really don't want to give up in order to follow Christ.

We get our minds focused on what will make us happy and we think that things of this world can do just that. What we forget is that void we are trying to fill is put in our heart for a reason by God. That void was made by God and it can only be filled with God.

The sins that we love, don't bring us happiness and fullness, they just pacify our need for a very short time.

I have been able to give up some sins that I love through the grace of God (still have many more to go) and what I have found is that I am so much more content, happy and at peace because of it and also have fewer bouts of depression. Those desires of the flesh were not making me happy - they were bogging my spiritual life down and keeping me from true fullness in Christ.

During those very difficult times of giving up things that I loved so dearly, there were 3 things that helped me tremendously.

1. Praying, praying, and praying for God's help to overcome temptation

2. Having an accountability partner who is also praying (make sure it's someone who is willing you kick you in the pants when you need it)

3. Each time I was tempted, I offered my desire as an offering to God. Because it was something I wanted to do or have so badly, I made the decision that it would be my sacrifice in honor of God

Hope this helps - believe me, I know the struggle and heartache you are facing!

When you are through this difficult time, you will be able to look back and celebrate the new freedom you have! Praise God for His faithfulness!

Have a great day

Living fearlessly in Christ
Christie

No comments: