Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Colossians 23-24 Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.

I have a confession to make.

I have really been struggling with a speech that I have to give tonight in my speech class. Each week of the class, my professor is pulling me farther from my comfort zone by reducing the amount of notes I am able to have and yes, even taking away the security of a podium. I am used to speaking from a full manuscript, my Bible and a podium. He wants me to give an informative speech full of quotes and statistics with 4 index cards and no podium.

Yesterday, I decided that I could print my whole manuscript in small enough font that I could attach it to the index cards and my professor would never know the difference. I felt a little guilty as I cut the paper to fit the cards and began taping them together. As I was taping the last section to an index card, my friend Jodi stopped by and asked what I was doing. I explained the situation to her and she immediately gave me the look of disapproval. I tried to not look her way and just stay focused on what I was doing but then she asked me how I was going to learn if I didn't do what my professor asked me to, how being pulled from my comfort zone was a good thing and how I really was cheating by cutting corners and taking short cuts. Still feeling convicted, I assured her that I wasn't doing anything wrong and not to worry about it.

After our visit, I realized that getting an A really wasn't that important compared to obeying God. I text my friend and told her that I would be changing my index cards and only be hand writing the outline that was supposed to be there.

I will trust God to help me do my best. Even if I don't do as well as I would like or even if I don't get the A I so desperately want, I will know that I obeyed the Lord's prompting and that will be reward enough.

I thank God for His convictions in my heart and for the support of accountability partners! :)

Have a great day and I'd appreciate your prayers for my speech tonight.

Living fearlessly in Christ
Christie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your vulnerability in sharing this. I'll pray for your speech tonight.

Pastor Brian

Christie Todd said...

Thank you. I appreciate it!