Friday, August 21, 2009

Commentary on Matthew 21:23-25 In Jesus' world, as in ours, people looked for the outward sign of authority -- education, title, position, connections. But Jesus' authority came from who He was, not from any outward and superficial trappings. As followers of Christ, God has given us authority -- we can confidently speak and act on His behalf because He has authorized us. Are you exercising your authority?

I often find myself looking at myself - seeing who I am and what I'm capable of. When I do this, I end up disappointed and depressed. It isn't until I see myself through the eyes of God that I can truly see who I am. As I look back over my life, I am amazed at the things God has accomplished - things that I could have never done on my own. My heart aches as I think of the situations that I tried to fix/accomplish on my own and the mess I made of it all. But it is the times that I surrendered myself and truly rested in God's power and authority that I was blessed by and strengthened my faith.

Our authority doesn't come from ourselves/our pride, but from Whose we are. As Christians, we are children of God. The next time you are looking at yourself and feel discouraged and depressed, remember the authority and power you have received from God and rely on Him to speak the words and make the decisions that you seek.

Have a great day and a great weekend

Living fearlessly in Christ
Christie

No comments: