Thursday, July 23, 2009

This morning I was reading Matthew 16:21-28 where Jesus tells his disciples of his upcoming death. In vs. 22, Peter says "God forbid it, Lord! This shall never happen to you." In which Jesus responds in vs. 23 "Get behind me, satan! You are a stumbling block to me; for you are not setting your mind on God's interests, but man's."

Ouch! There have been many times that I have wanted to keep a loved one from pain that I felt they didn't deserve or need to go through but those words of Jesus really sank in today -- you are not setting your mind on God's interests, but man's."

My commentary puts it this way: Great temptations can come from those who love us and seek to protect us. Be cautious of advice from a friend who says, "Surely God doesn't want you to face this." Often our most difficult temptations come from those who are only trying to protect us from discomfort.

So, next time a loved one is about to face a uncomfortable situation -- hold their hand and be with them as they endure through a process that is making them into the person that God wants them to be.

As, I am heading out for vacation today, I will not be posting until Tuesday - so have a great day and a great weekend! Talk to you soon

Living fearlessly in Christ
Christie

No comments: