Friday, July 17, 2009

Good morning and happy Friday! Before I got started on the cooking for tonight's cookout, I read Matthew 15:21-28. As I read the commentary on this passage of Scripture, I was so convicted.

"The disciples asked Jesus to get rid of the woman because she was bothering them with her nagging persistence. They showed no compassion for her or sensitivity to her needs. It is possible to become so occupied with spiritual matters that we miss real needs right in front of us. This is especially likely if we are prejudiced against needy people or if they cause us inconvenience. Instead of being bothered, be aware of the opportunities that surround you. Be open to the beauty of God's message for all people, and make an effort no to shut out those who are different than you."

OUCH! That statement was not only true for the disciples but for me! I've shared that compassion is a struggle for me. I was brought up in a way that you should not focus on your problems but suck it up and move forward and I guess that I expect everyone else to be that way too.

Dear Heavenly Father: Please help me to see others through Your eyes. Fill me with Your compassion and mercy for others. Help me not to avoid people or see them as interruptions to my schedule but to see them as an opportunity to serve You by serving them. In Jesus' Name, Amen

Have a great day and a great weekend!

Living fearlessly in Christ
Christie

No comments: