Monday, July 13, 2009

Good morning and happy Monday! I just read some amazing Scripture that really got my heart thinking. Matthew 14:13-14 Now when Jesus heard about John, (John the baptist had just been beheaded by Herod) He withdrew from there in a boat to a secluded place by Himself; and when the people heard of this, they followed Him on foot from the cities. When He went ashore, He saw a large crowd, and felt compassion for them and healed their sick.

John was not just the for-teller and preparer for Jesus' arrival but he was also His cousin. Jesus was understandably upset and went to be by Himself. Now comes the part that convicts me - when these people followed Him, He didn't get angry or tell them to go away because He was sad. He felt compassion for them and began healing their sick. He knew His mission and purpose so He moved forward with what needed to be done.

Now, I have to admit that I have spent days and weeks in pity parties and/or times of real grief, only focused on me and my own pain. During these times, I don't feel like I can or want to help anyone else - I'm too busy being depressed to even think about anyone else. Isn't that exactly what satan wants from me? Absolutely! If he can keep me focused on me then I will not be fulfilling my mission from God and satan can so easily step in.

Here's what my Bible's commentary says: Jesus sought solitude after the news of John's death. Sometimes we may need to deal with our grief alone. Jesus did not dwell on His grief, but returned to the ministry He came to do.

What an inspiration to me! We must not waste time focusing on our circumstances but keep our eyes focused on God and the purpose He has given to each one of us. Circumstances change but God never does, so we can stand firm no matter what is happening around us.

Jesus also shows His amazing love in this message. A love that puts others first. A love that we can model when we make the choice to live committed to Him.

Wow! I told you it was goooooood stuff!

Have a great day
Living fearlessly in Christ
Christie

No comments: