Tuesday, January 29, 2008

We began the study of Proverbs last night in our Bible study group. I did not realize that a proverb is an observation about the way things generally are. We should be careful about claiming a proverb because it is not a promise. There are many different types of literature in the Old Testament but 3 specific ones are: A law which is a command that you must always obey, a promise which is a guarantee that is always true and a proverb. The word proverb comes from a Hebrew word that means "to rule or govern," and these sayings, reminders, and admonitions provide profound advice.
I have to say that this came as a shock to me since my "life verse" comes from Proverbs. I'm not saying that we shouldn't heed the advice that Proverbs gives us, we absolutely should because all of the Bible is God inspired. And maybe your saying "duh," Christie, I can't believe you didn't already know this, but it's given me alot to chew on and decide if I want to choose a different life verse that includes a promise from God.
This was not the only thing God gave me to chew on last night. I love a challenge and I love the fact that God never stops challenging me. Whoever says the Christian's life is boring, is crazy!

1 comment:

Lysa TerKeurst said...

Wow~
Now this is something to chew on for sure.

Proverbs is the book of the Bible that was meant to impart wisdom for daily living. It begins with an exhortation to embrace wisdom and ends with a portrait of a woman who did just that.

I say, keep your life verse sister and just add another with a promise.

Thanks for putting the button up and I do so hope to see you at the conference this year.