Tuesday, September 1, 2009

We had another YAC (young adult connection) cookout on Sunday and it went great! We will begin our every other Friday group sessions on Sept 11. If you or anyone you know are between the ages of 18 and 35, send them my way and I would love to tell them more about this great opportunity to walk closer to Christ and "do" life together.

In class, last night, my professor was talking about how in addition to our inner spiritual life, our external worship is important. I started becoming defensive as I thought he was going to say that we must be careful how we worship as not to offend someone else but it was not the case, in fact he reminded us that we need to give ourselves and others the freedom to worship. He told a story to explain what he was talking about: He was in Texas and visiting a church. He came in late and the service had already begun so there was not a greeter at the door. As he walked to his seat, he noticed the fellowship going on throughout the church and then as the music began he noticed the people - their faces - they were happy to be there, they wanted to worship. People were engaged, they were smiling, they were singing and seemed truly content in the house of the Lord. Although, at that point, he had not spoken to or met anyone there, he knew that this would be a place that he would want to worship if he lived in the area.

I then, understood what he was saying about the importance of external worship. When my family and I have visited other churches, the first thing I look at are the worshippers. Are they there to truly worship or is attending church just another weekly habit?

Are you inviting others to worship by your worship? Are you setting an inviting example of worship or does your mood, disinterest in singing, music preference, or service layout keep you disconnected and sober?

Lord, I pray that as I come to Your house to worship and as I worship You throughout my life that You will help me to put all distractions aside so that my heart can spill out its love and thankfulness to You. Help me to worship in a way that is pleasing to You. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Have a great day!

Living fearlessly in Christ
Christie

No comments: