Monday, November 24, 2008

Yesterday, we attempted to take the picture that would be on our Christmas card. After many tries, with uncooperative puppies, we finally got the shot that I think we'll use. I definitely don't want to continue trying.

The other night, my husband and I drove separately to our daughter's basketball game because we each came straight from work. Afterwards, we all met at a restaurant for supper. Even though I was tired and wanted to go home, I let them all know that we needed to get groceries when we were done eating. My husband, son and daughter all said that they didn't want to go so they would go home while I went. I asked the question: "why is it that I still have to go even when don't want to, but none of you do?" The response from all: "cause your the mom!" So true, I'm the mom, so I'm expected to do even when I don't want to.

I thought about this in regards to my Bible study. In our small group, we are studying the book of Hebrews. In the past, I skip over Hebrews because it is hard for me to understand. Not only Hebrews, but other books of the Bible have been avoided by me due to their difficulty. When I explained to our pastor that leads our small group, that I'm really intimidated by these difficult books and wonder how I'm going to understand them when I start Christian college in February.

I was reminded of the "cause your the mom" story. Even when things are difficult, I can't shy away. Even when I don't want to, I have to. How can I raise children who take risks and trust in God to reveal Himself to them, if I'm not willing to set the example?! I will do hard things not only cause I'm the mom but also because I'm a child of the Most High God.

On to our study of James. 5:1-6 "Come now, you rich, weep and howl for your miseries which are coming upon you. Your riches have rotted and your garments have become moth-eaten. Your gold and your silver have rusted; and their rust will be a witness against you and will consume your flesh like fire. It is in the last days that you have stored up your treasure! Behold, the pay of the laborers who mowed your fields, and which has been withheld by you, cries out against you; and the outcry of those who did the harvesting has reached the ears of the Lord of Saboath. You have lived luxuriously on the earth and led a life of wanton pleasure; you have fattened your hearts in a day of slaughter. You have condemned and put to death the righteous man; he does not resist you."

What a great reminder of the worthlessness of money! Now, we all of course, need money to survive. Money in itself is not the problem, it's the love of money that James is warning about. People who have alot of money, are not worthless, in fact that can do much for the Kingdom with the money that God has blessed them with. It's all about what a person does with their money.

You may be like me and be thinking, well I definitely don't have alot of money, so I don't have to worry about these "rich" warnings but we certainly must. It is so tempting for us to put money over people especially when we don't have much and think that more would make us happier. Have you ever considered changing jobs for the money even thought it would take your time from your family or doing something dishonest just to make some extra money for yourself? The love of money is something we must all guard ourselves from. I think that is why God warns us so many times in His word about money.

Where is your love? Matthew 6:24 "No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth."

No comments: