Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Today I am posting for the 300th time! Wow, time sure flies - it seems just like yesterday that I was asking my pastor about blogging because I knew nothing about it. I remember my first post - it said something like: I am blogging for the first time and I don't know what to say. Well, I've come a long way because now, I usually have to cut myself off because I have so much more to say but figure that people dont't want to read my ramblings for more than a minute or two.

Now, on to another very important lesson from James. 1:19-20 "This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; for the anger of a man does not achieve the righteousness of God."

For myself, I struggle with the quick to hear and slow to speak. It sometimes depends on who I'm conversing with. It is especially difficult with my children and husband but I have been working on listening without interrupting with whomever I'm talking with. I am naturally a talker and always want to help, so I have the inclination to speak but I have found that not everyone needs an answer but sometimes just someone to listen.

I would like to share what my Bible's commentary says about the last verse - it was quite convicting to me. "These verses speak of anger that erupts when our egos are bruised - "I am hurt;" My opinions are not being heard." When injustice and sin occur, we should become angry because others are being hurt. But we should not become angry when we fail to win an argument or when we feel offended or neglected. SELFISH ANGER NEVER HELPS ANYBODY."

OUCH! This really hit me between the eyes! How easily I get angry when my feelings are hurt, when I'm being ignored or words offend me. This anger is wasted - wasted time by thinking only of myself and how hurt I am. These verses tell us that we should only anger for the injustice of others.

What do you get angry about? How easily are you angered? Is it more for the "benefit" of yourself or is it for others?

Let's allow God to be our guide in everything we do, say, think or feel today.

Have a great day

Living fearlessly in Christ
Christie

No comments: