Thursday, July 17, 2008

I'm baaaaack! Sorry for falling off the face of the earth for a few days.

When I went to bed Friday night, I had decided to spend Saturday cleaning out the last portion of our pig barn as a surprise for my husband. God had such a better plan for me. It was storming Saturday morning so I decided to get up and spend the day with my gramps in the nursing home instead. Thank God for the rain and change of plans. When I got to the nursing home, they had moved gramps to a private room at the end of the hall. When I went in to see him, I had to take a double take, not believing that it was my gramps in the bed. I knew immediately that he would be going home very soon. Drugged for relief from the pain, he slept and struggled for each breath. I spent the day holding his hand and telling him who was there to see him. My heart was breaking, but yet, I was at peace knowing that I didn't want him to live like this any longer. After all his children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren said their goodbyes and left for the evening - he slipped into the sweet hands of our Savior.

Today's post is a tribute to my sweet gramps. When my daughter was little, she always called him pappie. Since then, I've lovingly called him my grand-pappie or gramps. He and my granny are faithful in all they do. I can honestly say that they have never let me down. Any time during my life that I needed them, they were always there. They are selfless, always giving of themselves to anyone in need. Every neighbor, every family member, every person they met - they gave of themselves to. They also love children, especially gramps. As I looked through pictures of him this week, I noticed that there were only a few that he didn't have a child in his arms. Almost every time I saw him, he would tell me "Chris, I just love kids - I don't care whose they are, I just love kids." I know gramps, I know. He was one of the three men in my life who could get away with calling me Chris. Only him, my dad and my husband.

A few weeks ago when gramps became paralzyed from the chest down, I began to pray that God would preform a miracle and allow my gramps to dance for joy - I truly believed that He would and I would dance with my gramps. As time passed, and I realized that it was not His will, I began to pray that He would take my gramps home. I feel like busting at the seams when I think about the fact that my prayers have been answered - he is now dancing - and someday, I'll dance with him.

Don't take your family for granted - soak up every second you can. Be faithful to them.
Christie

Enough

All of You is more than enough for all of me
For every thirst and every need
You satisfy me with Your love
And all I have in You is more than enough
You are my supplyMy breath of life
And still more awesome than I know

You are my reward worth living for
And still more awesome than I know

All of You is more than enough for all of me
For every thirst and every need
You satisfy me with Your love
And all I have in You is more than enough

Youre my sacrificeOf greatest price
And still more awesome than I know
Youre the coming KingYou are everything
And still more awesome than I know

More than all I want
More than all I need
You are more than enough for me
More than all I know
More than all I can say
You are more than enough for me

1 comment:

much2ponder said...

I know that you are rejoicing, but I also know there will be a gap in your life that your grandfather used to fill. I am praying for your heart to feel the fullness of the Grace of God as you enjoy each memory; one by one.

I love that song at the end.

You are loved.