Thursday, August 21, 2008

Well, I offically won the "worst mom" award last night. My daughter, who is so much like me, had made a very precise list of each piece of clothing she would be wearing for the first week of school. She had asked what days I would be doing laundry to make sure that the specific clothes would be clean for each day. I assured her that I always do laundry on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and she would have nothing to worry about. As the tradition goes in our house, my husband and I took the first day of school off from work, which was yesterday. While the kids were in school, we worked in the yard. Hence, it was Wednesday and I didn't do any laundry, so when she asked me at bedtime where her clothes were for today - I realized I had forgot. She didn't say anything, but went to examine her list and what clothes she did have clean to wear today but I felt like a failure. This may not seem like a big deal to you, but I pride myself on keeping my household running smoothly and being super mom and super wife. It is an expectation of myself that I fail on many times. As I considered this all in my quiet time this morning, I realized that the high expectations of myself are a great way for satan to bring me down when I fail. I know that God wants me to be the best that I can be but I also know that He loves me very much and doesn't want me to beat myself up over the small things.

What are your greatest expectations in life? As I read Acts chapter 17 today, I thought about how we make so many things into idols today. Maybe not intentionally, but we do.

In vs. 22-34, Paul is in Athens and speaking about the idols he has noticed around him. He finds an altar with "unknown god" printed on it. He explains that he wants to tell them about this "unknown god" that they have been worshipping. "The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man, nor is He served by human hands, as though He needed anything, since He Himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything. And He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place, that they should seek God, in the hope that they might feel their way toward Him and find Him. Yet He is actually not far from each one of us, for 'In him we live and move and have our being' as even some of your own poets have said, 'for we are indeed his offspring.' Being then God's offspring, we ought not to think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and imagination of man." (vs.24-29)

As I read these verses, I thought - yeah! that's the God I know, that's the God I serve. The maker of everything, the giver of everything, the One who needs nothing because He has created everything. Why were these people worshipping other idols?

Then it hit me, why do I? Why am I in search of more? Why am I searching for perfection for myself in all I do? Why do I worry about what others think of me? Why do I make other things into idols when I have the God that was just described?

I so easily forget that He is enough. Let me repeat myself, HE IS ENOUGH! He has been and continues to be my all in all - my everything. I allow satan to use this world around me to take my eyes and focus them on other things.

What idols are you worshipping? What is more important to you than spending time with God, than spending time with your spouse, your children, your family? Is it your job - your climb up the ladder? Is it making more money, having a better car and nicer home? Is it looking good in the eyes of others - shining for them instead of God?

God is enough - don't waste your time searching for something else

Have a great day
Christie

No comments: