Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I'm an "early" person - you know, there are early people, on-time people and late people. So not being early, drives me bananas. Last night I was driving my daughter to basketball practice and a little tense because we were going to be on-time if not a minute late. We pulled up behind a slow moving semi and my daughter says "just pass it, mom", looking out into oncoming traffic, I respond "only if you want to die today." My son, sitting in the backseat, replies "well, I accepted Christ so I know I'll be going to heaven." What!!! "When did you accept Christ?"



My heartbeat rose as he told me that the night before, he woke up at 2 am and felt God telling him that it was time! He agreed and accepted Jesus as his Lord and Savior - by himself, without his mom - isn't he supposed to need his mom for everything??!!



I dropped off my daughter at practice and he and I sat in the car to discuss all that had happened. Our daughter's love language is words of affirmation so I'm used to her always wanting to discuss everything and be told how proud we are of her and we were able to pray together for her salvation but Nathan's love language is quality time and doesn't need all the discussion and praise. He takes things very personally and is private about big issues. He had asked my husband and I previously about accepting Christ and thought he was almost ready, but needed more time. Since then he hadn't brought it up much and we didn't want to push him.

As I bubbled over sitting in the car with him, I asked him if he had confessed his sin and asked for forgiveness in his salvation prayer. He had not, and I asked to pray with him, he refused and feeling that it was very personal to him, he wanted to do it, himself. Alone, without his mother!!

My heart overflowed as I watched my baby making the biggest, most important decision of his entire life.

Praise God! Praise God! We now have the assurance that our family will spend eternity in heaven together.

O.K. now that I shared our very exciting news with you, let's move on with our study in Acts. As I read chapter 20, I was encouraged. Check out what Paul says to the church elders in Ephesus in verses 22-24: "And now, behold, I am going to Jerusalem, constrained by the Spirit, not knowing what will happen to me there, except that the Holy Spirit testifies to me in every city that imprisonment and afflictions await me. But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God."

Wow! I want to be as bold and selfless as Paul. Knowing the pain and affliction that faced him in the future, he didn't quit. He was willing to sacrifice everything in order to obey his calling. His words show me how faithless I am to try and avoid pain in this life by not obeying God's promptings.

When in the midst of it, I hate pain, heartache and trouble but God puts me in the middle of it or allows me to put myself in the middle of it for a reason. There are many things in my life that I thought I would never make it out of, only to be able to look back now and see all the good that came out of it.

We must remember that God knows best - even when we think we know better or can do it in better timing or can do it with less or no hurting.

In verses 29-30 "I know that after my departure fierce wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock, and from among your own selves will arise men speaking twisted things, to draw away the disciples after them."

BE CAREFUL! BE WATCHFUL! Satan's twisted lies can speak in your head through many avenues. Yourself and others. Stand firm in your faith and in your calling. Keep satan behind you. Do not be drawn away!

Living fearlessly
Christie

No comments: