Thursday, August 14, 2008

I had another "country" moment last night. There was some wiring, rock and bricks on one side of our shed. Because he didn't want to hit any of it, my husband hasn't mowed in the area. The weeds had gotten tall and I couldn't take looking at it any longer. While he was away last night, I decided to get the mower out and clean it up. I have never seen so many spiders in my life! The black spiders with the yellow backs (we call them banana spiders) and wolf spiders were not only in large webs but running across the ground as I mowed the tall weeds. I'm not joking when I tell you they were as big as the palm of my hand! Screaming inside, I lifted my legs clear up by the steering wheel as I drove. I was so afraid that one of them was going to crawl up my leg. I mowed everything I could, but couldn't bring myself to get off the mower to pick up the wiring and rocks. I ran to the garage to get the bug spray and sprayed as many as I could and decided it would be best to go back into the house. That was a little too much country for me - I'll leave the rest of the mess for my husband. Thank God, he is much braver than I.

In Chapter 13 of Acts, Paul and his companions, filled with the Holy Spirit, continue to take opportunities to share the Gospel and many are coming to believing faith. Paul is teaching in the synagogue at Antioch and among much other, he states "Let it be known to you therefore, brothers, that through this Man forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you, and by Him everyone who believes is freed from everything from which you could not be freed by the law of Moses." (vs. 38-39)

As I read those verses, the words "freed from everything" jumped off the page at me. God used this to remind me of my freedom in Him. All the time wasted wondering if I should or shouldn't do something, trying to earn my salvation, wondering what others would think of me, etc. etc. etc. - I have freedom in Christ.

I don't have to earn my salvation, He freely gave it to me. I don't have to worry if others are going to love me - He loves me unconditionally. I don't have to wonder if I am making the right decision because if I seek Him, He will show me what to do.

You and I are free when we accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior because He died on the cross to take away everything. All the fear, all the guilt, all the sin - everything.

Enjoy your freedom
Christie

No comments: