Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Isn't it so cool to know that God can make good out of our mistakes??!!! In our study of Acts, we saw how God changed Saul, from persecuting Christians to becoming Paul, a faithful follower of Christ. I too, have seen God turn my mistakes into good.

As I pondered what book of the Bible we should study next, I thought about Jonah, because I've been alot like him. The book of Jonah brings insight and proper perspective for me so I thought you may enjoy it also.

Let's get started. In Jonah, chapter 1, God spoke to Jonah and told him to go to Ninevah and call out against their evil. Well, Jonah obviously had other plans because he immediately ran from God. He hopped the first ship he could find going in the opposite direction of Ninevah, went down into the belly of the ship and fell fast asleep.

Due to Jonah's disobedience, God caused a major storm where they were sailing and the others on the boat were panicking from the fierceness of it. They were calling out to their gods to help them and awoke Jonah to do the same.

When he explained that he was running from the God of all creation, they were even more afraid and asked him what to do. He told them to throw him overboard and eventually, being terrified for their own lives, they did.

Here's the really cool part! Get this!! The sea immediately calmed and vs. 16 says "Then the men feared the Lord exceedingly, and they offered a sacrifice to the Lord and made vows."

Jonah's mistake - disobeying and running from God - caused others to believe in Him! God's plan is perfect, even when we mess up!

I am so encouraged by the fact that my mess-ups don't stop God. I thank Him everyday that He doesn't give up on me and He won't give up on you, either - mistakes and all.

Let this be the day that you let go of your past - know that God can and will forgive you - and start fresh, knowing that He can make good from everything.

Living fearlessly
Christie

No comments: