Wednesday, September 19, 2007

I have had many discussions with other Christians about how we seem to think that some sins are better or worse than others. We have made our own sin grading scale and as long as we don't do the really "bad" sins, we are doing o.k. I believe that in God's eyes, a sin is a sin. Whether I gossip or commit murder I am still sinning. I truly want to get away from judging my thoughts and actions by what the world says is o.k. and seek God's truth.
Matthew 5:21-47 says alot about this subject. Here's a summary:
It's not enough to avoid murdering, we must also avoid anger and hatred.
It's not enough to offer regular offerings, we must also have right relationships with God and others.
It's not enough to avoid adultery, we must keep our hearts from lusting and be faithful.
It's not enough to not get a divorce, we must live out our marriage commitments.
It's not enough to keep a vow, we must avoid casual and irresponsible commitments to God
It's not enough to not seek revenge, we must show mercy and love to others.
What scale are you using?

No comments: