Monday, October 29, 2007

Last year, I attended a conference and heard Elizabeth George speak on Titus 2. It was very impactful and is something laid heavy on my heart ever since. Here's verses 2-8: Older men are to be temperate, dignified, sensible, sound in faith, in love in perseverance. Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, to that the word of God will not be dishonored. Likewise urge the young men to be sensible; in all things show yourself to be an example of good deeds, with purity in doctrine, having nothing bad to say about us.
I took what it said about the younger women to heart and began to make adjustments in my life to obey but wasn't too concerned about the older woman part thinking that didn't pertain to me. I have recently attended a Bible study called Apples of Gold which is a 6 week mentoring program based on Titus 2:3-5. It has amazed me the impact these women and the lessons have had on my life. The last 6 weeks have changed who I am. This has shown me just how truly important mentoring is.
The more I thought about it, when the scripture says older and younger women, this could also be maturity in Christ not necessarily age. I, even being a younger woman by age can mentor others by what God has taught me in my walk with Him. I just don't want you to think that you cannot mentor others because of your age. By telling others and setting an example with your life - you are mentoring, no matter how old you are.

No comments: